Rachel Worsley | 26/08/2023
Writing neurodivergent-friendly job ads involves using language and formatting that is inclusive and accessible to a wide range of candidates, including those with neurodivergent conditions. Here are some tips to write such job ads:
- Clear and Concise Language:
- Use clear and straightforward language to describe job requirements and responsibilities. Avoid jargon and overly complex sentences.
- Avoid Ambiguity:
- Be precise in your descriptions and requirements. Ambiguity can be confusing for neurodivergent candidates who may prefer clear, explicit information.
- Focus on Skills and Qualifications:
- Highlight the specific skills and qualifications required for the job. Avoid vague or subjective language.
- Structured Format:
- Use a structured format with clear headings and bullet points to organize information. This makes it easier for candidates to absorb and process details.
- Positive Language:
- Use positive and inclusive language throughout the ad. Emphasize the company's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Avoid Stereotypes:
- Avoid gendered or culturally biased language. Ensure that the job ad does not reinforce stereotypes.
- Equal Opportunities Statement:
- Include an equal opportunities statement to communicate the company's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Benefits of Inclusion:
- Mention the benefits of an inclusive workplace, such as opportunities for professional growth, mentorship, and a supportive environment.
- Accessibility Information:
- Provide contact information for candidates who require accommodations during the application process.
- Use of Visuals:
- Incorporate visuals, such as icons or images, to make the ad more engaging and accessible.
- Clarity on the Hiring Process:
- Clearly outline the hiring process, including stages, assessments, and timelines.
- Avoid Unnecessary Requirements:
- Avoid listing unnecessary qualifications or experience that may deter neurodivergent candidates from applying.
- Flexible Work Options:
- If applicable, mention any flexible work arrangements or remote work options that may accommodate neurodivergent candidates' needs.
- Diverse Language Styles:
- Recognize that neurodivergent candidates may have different communication styles. Be open to alternative means of communication during the application process.
- Encourage Disclosure:
- Encourage candidates to disclose any accommodations they may need during the application and interview process, assuring them that their requests will be respected.
- Feedback and Support:
- Offer feedback and support to candidates throughout the hiring process, emphasizing the company's commitment to helping all candidates succeed.
By following these guidelines, you can create job ads that are more inclusive and accessible to neurodivergent candidates, ultimately widening the pool of qualified applicants and promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Here is an example of an inclusive job ad.
Job Title: Software Developer - Inclusive Hiring Opportunity
Company: [Your Company Name]
Location: [City, State]
At [Your Company Name], we are committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace where every individual's unique talents and perspectives are valued. We believe that neurodiversity is a strength, and we are dedicated to creating an environment where neurodivergent individuals can thrive.
Position Overview:We are seeking a talented and passionate Software Developer to join our innovative team. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, collaborate with a diverse group of colleagues, and contribute to our mission of delivering exceptional solutions to our clients.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design, develop, and test software applications.
- Write clean, efficient, and maintainable code.
- Identify and troubleshoot technical issues.
- Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of our development processes.
- A strong passion for software development.
- Demonstrated expertise in [mention specific technologies or programming languages relevant to the role].
- Strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration abilities.
- An openness to diverse perspectives and a commitment to inclusive teamwork.
Why Join Us:
- Inclusive Culture: We are dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusion and diversity, where every team member is valued and empowered to succeed.
- Learning and Development: We support continuous learning and offer opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Flexible Work Environment: We understand that everyone has unique needs, and we offer flexible work arrangements to accommodate those needs.
- Mentorship and Support: You'll have access to mentorship and support to help you excel in your role.
- Competitive Compensation: We offer competitive salary and benefits packages.
How to Apply:We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, including neurodivergent individuals. If you are excited about this opportunity and believe you are a great fit for our team, please send your resume and a cover letter to [Your Email Address].
Application Deadline: [Insert Application Deadline]
[Your Company Name] is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This job ad demonstrates a commitment to neurodiversity and inclusion, offers clear information about the position and qualifications, and encourages neurodivergent candidates to apply. It also highlights the company's inclusive culture and commitment to diversity.
Stay updated on the latest resources from Neurodiversity Media. Sign up to the NeuroWork Newsletter today: